Part 1 :
Part 2 :
"It's important to talk about loving yourself and looking at your tragedies and the stuff that makes you grow."
( 537 Ko )
A star is born
The first successes.
After a series of bad films,
she finally won recognition in 1996, in "Walking and talking ", and played a small part in "The juror"
with Demi Moore. But it was the part of Johnny Depp's wife in
" Donnie Brasco " which attracted the praises of criticism to her. Consequently,
things started to accelerate in the year 1997 when, after " Donnie Brasco "
she starred in 2 other films " Wag the dog " and " Volcano ". In " Wag the dog "
she played opposite Robert de Niro and Dustin Hoffman. Anne played the White House PR
director, who helped a Hollywood producer to fake a war to distract the public from the
president's impropriety with a Girl Scout. There is of course a reference to the
Clinton-Lewinsky affair. The part was initially written for a man, but director
Barry Levinson thought it would be good to have a female playing opposite Niro and
Hoffman. Anne was delighted:
"I was very surprised when Barry Levinson called me in to read. I thought there
must be some mistakes, but he wanted to see how it would work with a woman.
Actually, we didn't change many of the lines; they were just coming out of my mouth
instead of a man's."
This film provided Heche with an opportunity to win the National
Board of Review Award for Best Supporting Actress. She obtained then her first
major part as Tommy Lee Jones-s co-star in " Volcano ". It was a disaster film in
which Anne played Doctor Amy Barnes who fights to save Los Angeles
from destruction by a volcano. Anne expected a lot from this film :
"I'm excited about what "Volcano" can do for my career. I can see
the possibility of doors opening,"
A major coup.
At this beginning of year 97, the film was not released.
The Disney studios were seeking an actress to play the leading female part in their next
film " 6 days, 7 nights ", a romantic comedy. Her agent gave her the script:
- - "I can play this part with my eyes closed," I said to my agent.
- - "I know. It's you. Has you written all over it"
- - "It is me. I can nail this one, no problem."
- - "I think you can too". My agent always believed in me.
- - "Do they know who's playing the other part?"
- - "Sure do; you're not going to believe."
- I thought the movie was a small, low-budget romantic comedy
I got comedy bug after doing Wag and thought a lighthearted romance would be fun
- - "Harrison Ford"
- - "WHAT?"
- - "Can you believe it?"
- - "Can I believe it?no, I can't believe it! I'm never gonna get it now"
- - "You're a great actress, Anne"
- - "Fuck that! He's Harrison Ford! Why should he care whether I'm great or ot. Fuck"
- - "Of course he cares"
- - "Okay, maybe he cares, but the studio won't. They're not going to hire me play opposite him"
- - "You never know. You're hot right now"
- - "I'm not movie star hot. I'm not Harrison Ford hot"
- - "You never know" I like his attitude
- - "who else are they looking at?"
- - "Everyone Anne. Come on. It's Harrison Ford"
- - "That's my point. Shit! Do you think I can get a meeting?"
- - "What do you thing I'm calling you for?"
- - "I got a meeting?"
- - "With Harrison and the director"
- - "Me, getting to meet Harrison Ford? Who cares if I get the part!"
- - "Get the part I care"
- - "I care too, I guess. Fuck, man! Harrison Ford!"
Anne auditions. The result is hopeful: Harrison Ford wants to work
with her. The producers make her a proposal. In her career it is a major coup.
She carries it in front of Nicole Kidman and Sandra Bullock, 2 of the high-profile
actresses who had audiotioned with Ford.